GregWeckenbrock-Europe

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Bucharest- Slovenia (2nd time) Choir Tour

So, after reaching Bucharest, I only had one night before I left Joel and Fitzy to explore the city themselves. The the time had come for me to get off the bike, and travel the road in a bit different way. Kakofon, the choir I sing with in Prague was making a small concert tour for a week in Slovenia. So I boarded a train in Bucharest, and made the 30hr trip, first to Budapest, then back to Lljubljana, Slovenia. It was a long ride, bribing two train conductors along the way, and having a 6hr layover in Budapest, which was actually a nice chance to ride back up to the castle for a nap and some lunch, and to recount the special visit my parents and I made there just 5 months before.


I finally made it to Ljubljana at 11pm, and made the final 5k ride from the train station to where the choir was staying. Finally, the bike rolled to a stop, and I was in the arms of my friends once again. From the first night I spent on the tour, I began a process of reflection that could last for years to come. Already, I began having the life-changing realizations that would later come to mark this trip, more than anything else... The two months on the bikes, changed my life... This concert tour gave me the perfect opportunity to stop moving, breath, and begin to let it all catch up with me... what a ride.
The concert tour itself was amazing in its own right, however. I sang more than I ever have in a week period. We sang on beaches, in caves, churches, restaurants, cars, on islands, and in mountains. I spent more time with a new-born baby, than in all my life. I grew closer to many of the people in Kakofon, and for this I will always be grateful. They are truly my friends, and in many ways my family here in Europe. It was wholesome, with lots of hiking, swimming, strolling, eating, singing, and walking. It was exactly what I needed, and more than I ever expected. Check out the highlights:

Adverts. around town.

Driving in the rain/sun.

Singing on the shores of Bohinjsko Jezero. "Rehersal"

Miki and Pavlinka, Bohinjsko Jezero.

Hiking in the rain, Triglav National Park, Jana, Lucka, Karol, Marketa.


Market, Papir, I and others, taking shelter in a downpour...

Triglav National Park

A magical church on a magical night. (Our last night in Slovenia)


Entering the same magical church, where I would soon hear/experience the most memorable singing of my life... perfect acoustics, 8 singers, (none but one much of a Christian, and thus not humbled by a church in the conventional sense... in my opinion however, they're very attuned to God, and with a keen gift to recognize special moments in life, as they're actually happening... or at least simply, what is special...) 1:00 in the morning on a misty mountain top, in a golden-lit room where words got lost along with time, in those lofty places where our voices rose and met, like souls to whisper and touch all those listening with life... I was moved to tears and listened more than I sang. I will never forget this night. I was simply so touched.

2 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Shawn Keating Olson said...

I would have loved to of been here, Greg. I know what it means to be moved to tears by singing.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger DF said...

Wow, Rehor, you are truly gifted narrator. It´s been almost a year, yet I can hear us singing and smell the air inside the dome while reading your blog. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home