GregWeckenbrock-Europe

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I'm Catching Up

Hello all,
Well, my blog sucks. I’m looking back over it right now, and only two posts in 3 months? That’s bad. I can’t promise to get better either, but I’ll try.
To give you a brief summery of life up to date, since the last post, I took a day trip to a town called Kutna Hora, to see a church full of skeletons. They ran out of room in the surrounding cemetery during a plague, I believe, so they started taking the bodies apart and storing all the bones inside the church in decorative fashion. There are thousands of full bodies collected and displayed inside, and it’s a bit eary in the day light, bright sunshine, happiness-inducing atmosphere in which I saw it (see pictures). I can only imagine at night… (see no pictures…).
After Kutna hora, the next weekend I traveled to another small town called Cesky Krumlov, and old, very well preserved castle town. I went with a Ukrainian friend of mine from class, named Dan. We went originally for a day trip, but got a bit distracted drinking beer, telling stories, eating 1 kilo pork knees, watching the pork knees cook, slowly, rotisserie, drippingly, over a small fire right there in the restaurant (ie someone’s kitchen…), exploring the castle, seeing a bear, getting lost in the back woods and farms, running from dogs down creeks, drinking more fine beer at a brewery and some more pubs along the way, telling more stories, worsening, and funnier as the time went and finally arriving at the bus station only to realize A. there was noone there, and would not be anyone the rest of the weekend. B. No schedules posted anywhere in the station made any sense to us, as they were all in Czech, and but made little sense in Czech as well, C. No bus drivers like talking to two random dudes freezing their asses off, don’t know why… I believe they regard their buses as ships, and themselves captains. You don’t ask questions, you only get told answers… you don’t do anything to disrespect the bus, or slow them down… even if they’re not moving and in fact just sitting and reading a newspaper, don’t slow them down! They’re READING… ooo…
so, we stayed the night, rocked out at a concert in a hotel near by, though we were not staying there, we were staying a crappy hostel-first-one-we-came-across, down the street. No concert, no people, but still open at 11 at night. At the concert down the way however, we rocked out, as I mentioned, and I got talked into buying a cd… talking with the band after the show (they sounded all right…), “hey, you guys sounded great” response: “oh really, well why don’t you buy a cd then”. Response “ugh… o…k… I guess I will…” thought passing in my head: I did just tell them they were great… why did I do that…? Stupid, stupid stupid. They all signed it for me, and were really excited when I asked them too… that was cool to see them so excited, so I got really excited. It may have freaked them out a little, as they autographed my cd: “You like our music, but we will not make gay love if you want it” signed, -their names. They were Dutch I think.
So, I left my friend still at the bar/ good hostel at 4 in the morning. I was piss drunk and tiried. He was interested in a German girl who told me how to say “I love you” in German, as well as “you are beautiful”, “you have beautiful eyes”, and “you are sexy”,… none of which sounded at all romantic and it made me give up on the german language before I even started it. it sounds like throw up… to this untrained ear… it made me wonder if they ever tell each other they’re beautiful or sexy, or if they just have some really awesome way of showing it rather than saying it… to avoid the throw-up… obviously.
Dan remained in pursuit of her, I ejected, stumbled to the hostel, crashed out for the night, woke Dan, who’d been sleeping a solid 1 hour, up the next morning at 8, so we could catch the “first bus out of Cesky Krumlov”, and headed out to the bus station to wait for the first bus… the first bus wasn’t until 12:45pm, but hey, now we know.
The next week, was the last of the class, during which I turned in my final projects, taught my final lessons, found some roommates, an apartment with them, and had a sweet end of class “graduation” party with all of my classmates as a sweet “Mexican” restaurant that gave some of my classmates food poisoning, but was worth it in my opinion because it was the spiciest food I’d tasted in a month… and I didn’t get sick… I appreciate their sacrifice though…
The following Monday, we had a Job Fair. A week went by, and by the following Tuesday I was hired as a full-time English teacher by The Caledonian School. I taught my first class 7:30 Wednesday morning...
And that's where we stop for now... my fingers are tired. I'll pick it up next post.
Take care of eachother, and us all. Until then,
-Greg

note the captions on the pictures of the previous post... I'm workin' here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home